Ready for CAE p 20. Cloze. Since vs from

Here you have MICHAEL SWAN's explanation from his book Practical English Usage. OUP.

From and since give the starting points of actions, events or states: they say when things begin or began.
from/since+starting point
I'll be here from three o'clock onwards.
I work from nine to five.
From now on, I'm going to go running every day.
From his earliest childhood he loved music.
I've been waiting since six o'clock.
I've known her since January.

We use since( with a perfect tense) especially when we measure duration from a starting point up to the present, or up to a past time that we are talking about.
I've been working since six o'clock, and I'm getting tired. ( NOT I've been working from six o'clock...)I had been working since six o'clock, and I was getting tired.

From is used in other cases.
The shop was open from eight in the morning, but the boss didn't arrive till ten. ( NOT The shop was open since eight...)
I'll be at home from Tuesday morning ( on). ( NOT ...since Tuesday morning.)

From is sometimes possible with a present perfect, especially in expressions that mean ' right from the start´.
From/Since the moment they were married, they've quarrelled.
From/Since the dawn of civilisation, people have made war.

MICHAEL SWAN. Practical English Usage. OUP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.