Ready for CAE p 54. Vocabulary

Grudges: a strong feeling of anger and dislike for a person who you feel has treated you badly, which often lasts for a long time To bear no grudges: No guardar rencor.

To rise through/from the ranks: to be moved up from a low level position in an organization to a higher one.

To bear a resemblance to someone or something: to have a degree of similarity to someone or something. E.g. This wallet bears a strong resemblance to the one I lost last month. Do you think that Wally bears any resemblance to his sister Mary?

Can't bear something: to be so upset about something that you feel unable to accept it or let it happen [= can't stand]: Please don't leave me. I couldn't bear it.
Can't bear the thought of (doing) something: I just can't bear the thought of having to start all over.(Se me hace difícil creer/ no puedo soportar la idea de ...)

Favour: behaviour that helps someone and gives them an advantage in an unfair way.
Show favour to someone: E.g. He was careful to show no favour to anyone. (favorecer a alguien)

Stun: to surprise or shock sb so much that they cannot think clearly or speak. Aturdir. I sat in stunned silence → me senté en silencio, anonadado

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.