Speakout Advanced p 45. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 6A
KEY
It refers to the era being described.

Ex 6B
KEY
1 I could hardly believe it when the policeman told me what had happened.



2 It has been reported that a number of people in the area were affected.



3 It’s no use! I’ve looked everywhere for my wallet but I can’t find it anywhere.



4 We would appreciate it if you didn’t tell anyone about this.



5 It’s surprising how quickly I was able to master the skill.



6 It’s no wonder you couldn’t find your bag. You left it in the café.



7
A: ‘How much further is it?’
B: ‘It’s not far now.’



8 It’s a pity that you won’t be able to make it to the lunch.



9 It was a warm day for the time of year.



10 It appears that someone has made a mistake.

Ex 7
KEY
a) It was the best of times, It was the age of foolishness, etc, It was a warm day …, How much further is it?, It’s not far now



b) It’s no use …, It’s surprising …, It’s no wonder …, It’s a pity



c) It appears that someone …



d) It has been reported …



e) I could hardly believe it when …; I can’t find it anywhere; We would appreciate it if …; You left it in the café.



f ) you won’t be able to make it.

p 135
Ex 1
1 I can’t stand it when all it does is rain for days on end.



2 I’d appreciate it if you could give me a little more notice next time.



3 It’s no use just standing there. You’d better get on with it.



4 I find it hard to believe that the summer is here already.



5 It appears that the police have video footage of the incident.



6 It’s pointless arguing with her when she’s in that kind of state.



7 I’ll leave it to the others to decide what time we should meet.



8 I’ve always made it clear that my family has to take priority over my work.




Ex 2
1 It’s pointless crying about the situation now.



2 It’s essential to be trustworthy in this profession.



3 It seems (that) he has misplaced his keys.



4 We owe it to them to be hospitable as they were welcoming to us.




5 It’s no wonder she wasn’t very enthusiastic when she had heard the talk before.



6 I find it easy to keep abreast of the latest news online.
keep abreast of something: to make sure that you know all the most recent facts about a subject. E.g. It is almost impossible to keep abreast of all the latest developments in computing.

Ex 8A
KEY
1 It’s difficult to believe he would have left all the money here. 



2 It’s no wonder you were scared. That car nearly hit you. 



3 It’s not my fault we didn’t finish on time. We started late. 



4 I can’t help it if I keep making mistakes. Nobody’s perfect. 



5 It’s important that we clear up any misunderstandings 



6 It was a shame that we didn’t see the beginning. 



7 It appears to have been a mistake.
 





8 It’s funny how things always turn out OK in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.