Speakout Advanced p 95. Keys and Vocabulary

Ex 2A
KEY
Childhood memories


The effect is called 'the Proust phenomenon'.
Named for French writer Marcel Proust, the Proust phenomenon is the sudden occurrence of a powerful memory. The memory is so powerful and vivid it can also contain a number of sensory and emotional components. Tasting the lemonade and suddenly being reminded of the fragrant back yard of the farm is an example of the Proust phenomenon.

evoke: /ɪˈvəʊk/ to bring a feeling, a memory or an image into your mind. E.g. The music evoked memories of her youth. His case is unlikely to evoke public sympathy.



Ex 2B
disinfectant: reminds him of school
cigarettes: horrible smell, reminds her of when she could smell cigarettes on her clothes, and would try to hide the smell so her parents wouldn't find out.
candles: when they have just been snuffed out, reminds him of when he used to sing in a church choir.
Also mentioned: vinegar and paint.


Ex 3B
3 Psychologists think memories associated with smells are stronger than those evoked by photos. 



4 Professor Chu uses familiar smells to trigger autobiographical memories. 



 6 When the man smells candles he’s reminded of when he sang in the church choir. 



Ex 4B
1. carried back in time



2. evoking memories



3. takes me back in time



4. evocative smell


Ex 5A
KEY
1 A: (Do you/Can you) remember any special smells from your childhood?



B: Yes, I do (remember special smells from my childhood) actually. (I remember) the smell of my grandmother's perfume.



2 B: Does it (remind you of holidays in Greece)? I've never been there (to Greece).



3 A: (Have you) got any photos of your family?



B: Yes, (I have got) lots (of photos of my family).



Ex 5B
KEY
1 (Have you) ever been to Spain?



(I'll) see you (later/tomorrow/on Monday, etc.)



2 So = I've got everything I need.



p 143
Ex 1
KEY

1. one



2 do



3 so



4 not



5 ones



6 there



7 mine



8 some



Ex 2
KEY

1 I'm not sure if they've finished, but I think they have (finished).



2 We could have met them later, but I didn't want to (meet them later).



3 (Do you) want a coffee? I've just made some (coffee).



4 I'd be happy to help if you need me to (help).



5 A: What time were we supposed to arrive?

B: (We were supposed to arrive) at six.



6 Erica had ice cream for dessert and Bill (had) chocolate cake.



7 They'll be here soon, but I don't know exactly when (they'll be here).



8 A: (Have you) got the time?

B: (The time is) half past two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.